Monday, April 19, 2010

We went this past Saturday for our once a month Wholes Food outing. Again I wanted to keep within the budget of $75. Unfortunately I went above my budget but nothing crazy. I would have been closer if DH (dear husband) wasn't there, but since he's with me every time we go shopping I need to account for this in future outings.


We stocked up on some fruit and veggies, most were well priced.
Organic Salad - 2 packs of Romaine Lettuce for $3.99 ea.
Organic Apples @ $1.49/lb (Awesome deal since Waldbaums offer them at $1.99 on sale)
Organic Onions 5lb bag for $2.88
Organic Red Potatoes - This was expensive $4.99
Bananas - We got organic because there were no green non organic ones (okay to buy non organic since you don't eat the skin) - $.99/lb
Organic Berries - 2pints for $4.
Organic Grapes - $1.99/lb awesome deal especially since we were both craving it.
We skipped on the broccoli as it was expensive $2.99/lb

Then we got to the meat department. I have decided we would do 1lb pork chops that were on sale for $3.99/lb. DH asked for 2lbs. So this was a budget buster. The butcher weighted out 2.5lbs for a total of $9.69 I could of cried, but we took it. We did better on the chicken - Breast on sale for 1.99 and seasoned chicken legs with a $1. off tag bringing it to just $.99/lb. This was a serious deal. We got frozen shrimp 1lb for $6.99 - the same price as in the supermarkets.

Some other deals we got was the Yo Baby fruit and veggie yogurt. 3 four packs for $7. I had (3) 1.00 off coupons bringing the 3 packs to just $4. This was awesome. I bought some bulk brown rice and some red kidney beans. We got a lot of stuff and surprisingly walked away spending $91. Busted the budget a bit, but really it wasn't awful. My goal for the month is to come up with some budget friendly receives using beans and spinach. If we are going to go organic, we will need to buy meat sparingly and start incorporating beans and veggie dishes. I need to start looking for some ideas.

Some food for thought. I read this earlier today, makes going organic a little bit easier.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-kirby/food-safety----drugs-pois_b_537686.html

No comments:

Post a Comment